Unofficial Cal Poly Mechanical Engineering Department Logo

Have you ever felt the urge to redesign the logo of an organization you were part of? That was basically me with the Cal Poly Mechanical Engineering Department. I felt the current logo was too...well...1980s corporate (please don't get mad at me, Dr. Thorncroft!), so as a cathartic exercise, I took it upon myself to design a new one. The inspiration for this logo takes inspiration from Cal Poly's university crest (the old one, not the new one that makes us look like a cut rate online university) and the existing department logo, which is a gear. The result is a logo that would probably be too much for a company, but works well as the symbol of a distinguished department of an institution of higher learning.

Created in Inkscape. Lines show through solid white fill because of Inkscape bugs that begin to surface once files become too large.

Comments